LJ-Picturing Food, 4.11.06: not for the bandwidth-impaired



Tres Leches Cake: Tasted fine, but too rich for me.
Cake ...
Such a humble little cake.

Leches ...
Milk is yummy.

Frosted with grated chocolate.
The chocolate made it.

Dashboard picnic: Sometimes, I don't have time between my regular job and a freelance gig for dinner, and there isn't time for a sit-down dinner, so I do a dashboard picnic. Plus, I just kinda like eating in cars. Bonus if it's a stargazing night and it's in the back of a pickup truck.
Meatballs and salad green on dill bread; leftovers.
pretty leaf

Dessert courtesy of one of my pastry icons, Tammie Coe.
I love you, tammie coe.

Key lime pie with raspberries; this is what color it should be.
key lime pie is not bright green!


Fritatta. I had it with crusted cod, but it looked like fish sticks--tasted fine, but not so pretty. ;D
Veggies are yum.
fritatta veggies

After broiling.
fritatta, post quick broil


Drunken Pavlova
Beat it!
egg whites and sugar

Preheat the oven to 400 ... this was my fatal mistake--it should've been 300.
pretty in white

I call it drunken pavlova because she fell flat on her face. It tasted like toasted marshmallows, so it wasn't a total loss.
kersplat


I, too, revisited my tarts (since I screwed up the intended dessert, see "drunken pavlova" incident above).
Since I "brained" the tarts on my first attempt at this recipe, I wanted to try it again.
no brainer!

And so good for breakfast!


I made scones and cupcakes for a bake sale at work to raise money for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation.
Fresh berries and white chocolate in scones.
so I don't squash that berries and make them bleed

Lemon poppy seed scones. Silicone bakeware gets a bad rap, but I do love my cookie sheet flats because they're way cheaper than Silpats, but also prevent the bottoms from burning.
Lemon poppy seed

Lemon poppy seed, chocolate chip, white chocolate rasperry, ready for selling.
Michael's had the perfect-sized box.

Chocolate cupcakes ...
It's supposed to be runny.

Medium-consistency ganache ...
It's supposed to be runny.

Ganache-filled/frosted dessert. The cake: very moist (note runny batter). The crust: pleasantly crispy. The ganache: smooth and warm (thanks to Sao Tome chocolate). The fruit: chewy and tart. Before I ran out of steam (it was 2:30 in the morning, and I wake up to go to work at 6), I had more extravagant plans, but in retrospect, I wouldn't change a thing. There's more info with this cross-post.
With raspberries and dried apricots on top.


Tonight's Dinner--"Franks and Beans": Hot dogs are my guilty pleasure. I love hot dogs, whether they're ballpark chili dogs or Chicago dogs in poppy seed buns. I only eat them a handful of time a year, but they make my shake my head in that happy way that expensive frou frou food can't.
A love spinach.
Spinach?

"Beans."
Lentils are my friends.

"Franks." Actually, they're Kahn's--Kahn's All Beef Hot Dogs, and I love them even more than Nathan's.
I love grainy mmmmmustard.

Comments

Popular Posts