Food Blogging

1. I haven't always loved cooking. I didn't even like it until I was in my 20s.

2. Most of my "big kitchen" experience comes from volunteering in soup kitchens. It was around then that I started to like cooking.

3. I wasn't so inspired while growing up, but now that I'm older and wiser, I take great influence from my mom's and dad's food.

4. My parents are Filipino. My mom was a stay-at-home wife and mom, and she cooked just about every meal we ate. I can count on one hand the number of times I remember eating fast food. When I got older, American dishes were her "experimental" dishes.

5. My first and greatest love is for words. I've wanted to be a writer, publisher, poet ... all manner of careers concerning words. I ultimately decided that I wanted to be an editor. Not an editor-in-chief, big-boss editor--more like a content editor, or even a copy editor and recipe editor. I'm currently a professional copy editor for a government agency. I love it and wouldn't mind retiring with this office, but it would be so rad to have a side job working with food writing.

6. I'm slowly earning an associate's degree in applied sciences with an emphasis in culinary arts, mostly to work toward my dream job ... okay, partly to work toward my dream job, and partly because of the awesome learning and cooking opportunities.

7. I just bought a 490 square foot condo, and it has a "half-galley" kitchen--the opposite wall is really a "hallway" wall; I have to walk through the kitchen (or past the kitchen wall) to get to my bedroom.

8. Last winter, my doc put me on phase 2 of the South Beach Diet, allowing whole grains and fruits. She told me I was pre-diabetic and really needed to lose weight. At the time, I was nearing the end of my Classical Desserts class, which I'd basically eaten my way through.

9. I cook just about every meal I eat, with occasional meals out being the exception.

10. I used to make a lot of food posts in LiveJournal's Picturing Food community, but after my camera broke, well, I just couldn't picture food anymore. I still cooked of course--I just didn't photograph it. My only incentive to buy a camera is so I have visual material for this blog. I want to remember and learn and document. It will be rad.

I'm going to start bringing in posts from my LiveJournal so I have all the food posts in one place.

I guess the One-Wall Kitchen is open for business! Woot!

Comments

Popular Posts