LJ-Picturing Food, 3.28.06: Sunday and Monday don't have to suck.



Inspired by the very talented and her post here: http://community.livejournal.com/picturing_food/2090687.html, I decided to try the recipe she posted. Unfortunately, I took for granted that when you bake a pie recipe in the form of small tarts, you have to cut the baking time considerably, just as if you were baking a cake recipe in the form of cupcakes. They actually taste really, really good, but I put my dunce cap on and sat in the corner, anyway, because that was just a silly mistake. ;D

Tarts!


Savory scone testers--candied ginger, sunflower seeds, rosemary, poppy seeds (kinda desserty), blueberry (way desserty, but it was for my housemate), and caraway seeds (which of course tasted like rye bread). They were all pretty good, though I'll have to watch measurements when I make actual batches for this Thursday's Tea Party Potluck.



So I finally enrolled in my first honest-to-goodness culinary class (not just a one-shot here and there), and I start this summer. To celebrate, I made some of my favorite blue collar one-pot, one-hour chili and a dessert I've always wanted to have.


Dinner was chili and cheese.



Dessert was chocolate pots de creme! I've always wanted to eat this recipe, like ever since I was a little kid. I guess I just had to make it myself.

4 oz. chopped chocolate, cream, and milk--stir it over medium until the chocolate melts. Don't let the mixture boil.


While chocolate is melting, lightly beat together two eggs, two egg yolks, and 1/3 cup of sugar, but don't let them get foamy--just give it a few good stirs. When chocolate mixture is ready, pour about 1/4 cup into the egg very slowly and mix it all together, bringing the hot and cold temperatures together slowly so you don't curdle your eggs. Then slowly pour the rest of the chocolate mixture in, whisking away the whole time.


Pour mix through a strainer into ramekins to 2/3 full. Place ramekins in pan, leaving room to pour water into pan, halfway up outside of ramekins. Cover pans loosely with foil, and the pots ready for the oven (preheated to 300).


Take pots after 30-35 minutes. The sides will be set, but the middles will be jiggly. Take the pots out of the pans and let them cool. Then eat, or wrap tightly with plastic wrap and chill them in the fridge.


Espresso chocolate shavings and sugared blackberries.


The inside is like creamy silk.

Comments

Popular Posts