Cookies for Mario
Sablés Nantais--not too sweet, but sweetly sandy, as a good sablée should be. The recipe is from The Colossal Cookie Cookbook, which I Mom handed down to me during my Thanksgiving visit.
For 2 dozen or so cookies, depending on your cutter:
1. Beat until soft: 1 stick of unsalted butter.
2. Sift in and cream: 1 cup of powdered sugar.
3. Beat in, one at a time: two egg yolks and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
4. Sift in a mix to a soft dough: 1 1/2 cups AP flour and 1/4 tsp baking powder.
5. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth.
6. Wrap dough in plastic and chill for 1 hour.
7. Preheat oven to 375.
8. Lightly grease or line with parchment two cookie sheets.
9. Roll out dough on floured surface to 1/4" and stamp out shapes.*
10. Transfer shapes to cookie sheets.
11. Lightly beat 1 egg white and glaze cookies.
12. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
13. Cool on sheets for a few minutes, then transfer to racks.
*If dough is too crumbly, add 1-2 Tbsp milk--this is my fix, not the book's.
180 cookies for Mario's birthday party goodie bags