Cookies for Mario

Mario celebrated his birthday about 6 weeks later than usual because he was moving during his actual birthday. He asked if I'd make cookies to put in his goodie bags. For those of you who know Mario, that was an honor because Mario can cook and bake like ... like awesome! Anyway, he asked for 4-6 cookies for 30 goodie bags, so I aimed to make 15 dozen (180) cookies. I went for two recipes I was sure about--chocolate chip and white chocolate chunk dark chocolate coffee cookies--and a new one that I could roll and cut hearts out of, per Mario's request.

Sablés Nantais--not too sweet, but sweetly sandy, as a good sablée should be. The recipe is from The Colossal Cookie Cookbook, which I Mom handed down to me during my Thanksgiving visit.
Sablés Nantais

For 2 dozen or so cookies, depending on your cutter:
1. Beat until soft: 1 stick of unsalted butter.
2. Sift in and cream: 1 cup of powdered sugar.
3. Beat in, one at a time: two egg yolks and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
4. Sift in a mix to a soft dough: 1 1/2 cups AP flour and 1/4 tsp baking powder.
5. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth.
6. Wrap dough in plastic and chill for 1 hour.
7. Preheat oven to 375.
8. Lightly grease or line with parchment two cookie sheets.
9. Roll out dough on floured surface to 1/4" and stamp out shapes.*
10. Transfer shapes to cookie sheets.
11. Lightly beat 1 egg white and glaze cookies.
12. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
13. Cool on sheets for a few minutes, then transfer to racks.
*If dough is too crumbly, add 1-2 Tbsp milk--this is my fix, not the book's.

180 cookies for Mario's birthday party goodie bags
Mario's cookies

Comments

Ana said…
the cookies were awesome !!
I couldn't go to the party, so mario brought a bag to the market :)
You are an awesome baker !!
Julie said…
Thank you, Ana! I'm glad that Mario shared them and that you were able to enjoy them, too!
Anonymous said…
180 cookies!!! How long did that take you? Please tell me you at least made those in your school oven and not at home.
Julie said…
Marvin,

It was all at home!

I made and shaped the dough for the drop cookies, and the dough for the shaped cookies on Sunday. On Tuesday, I just baked the drop cookies, and rolled and shaped the heart cookies. Mixing and balling the doughs was quick--about an 90 minutes for all three. Baking was an all-night project, especially since I had to rotate through baking sheets, letting them cool between batches. I'd bake the two regular sheets as one batch, then the larger sheet as another, so there was almost always something in the oven. That took at least 2 hours, but I enjoyed it. So yeah--my home oven was a workhorse that night! =)
Cakespy said…
Those cookies look absolutely killer. What a pleasure to eat all of that yumminess!

Popular Posts