Autumn ice cream roundup

Here in Phoenix, daytime temperatures still reach the mid-80s. While I believe that it's never too cold for ice cream, even a reasonable person will agree that the mid-80s are still warm enough to warrant a scoop or three. As a companion post to August's roundup, here are the flavors I've been playing with:

Chocolate chip oatmeal cookie ice cream with whole wheat pound cake, with delicious oatmeal cookie praline from David Lebovitz and pound cake from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking. The cake was fine, but the ice cream elevated it--those praline pieces were delicious even though I was sure they wouldn't taste like actual oatmeal cookie chunks.
chocolate chip oatmeal cookie ice cream with whole wheat pound cake



Chocolate-covered raspberry gelato. This was all right. I would've preferred ripples of raspberry throughout, but the coulis just melted through the chocolate ice cream. I wonder how actual chocolate-covered raspberries mixed in would be.
chocolate-covered raspberry gelato

Peanut ice cream with chocolate chips. This was a very good recipe, but it emphasized why the trouble of tempering chocolate for straciatella-like chips is well worth the time and effort. Chocolate chips like these belong in baked goods; they're no fun as frozen choco-bullets.
chocolate peanut ice cream

Berry sherbet with fleur de lait, both variations from David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop, which I may keep checked out from the library until next summer. I'd been wanting to make sherbet for awhile, and with milk I needed to use up and a carton of blackberries and raspberries, I found my inspiration. Oh so yum! The fleur de lait is now a fast favorite, tasting like softserve gelato.
berry sherbet and fleur de lait

Overall notes:

-I usually lose nothing in using sweeteners like honey, Splenda, and agave syrup in place of sugar, and in most recipes, I gain a lot through its warm, fruity sweetness.

-I also lose nothing in using recipes that don't call for eggs. Cornstarch recipes make for just as smooth, rich, and creamy a batch, without the fussy technique that incorporates egg yolks.

-The fewer ingredients there are in fruit ice creams and sherbet, the better.

Comments

Popular Posts