Student Diary: Advanced Pastry Arts, Day 14

Our final class project was tiered fondant wedding cakes. I tried to photograph everyone's cake, but I missed a few. I took photos of my finished cake at home because I was too slow to get it done in class. Lots of images!

Advanced Pastry Arts final project


Classmates' cakes:

Advanced Pastry Arts final project

Advanced Pastry Arts final project

Advanced Pastry Arts final project

Advanced Pastry Arts final project

Advanced Pastry Arts final project
(This was one of my favorites, and I told its baker that it's the kind of cake I'd want at my own wedding. It reminds me of my pastillage friandise.)

Advanced Pastry Arts final project

Advanced Pastry Arts final project

Advanced Pastry Arts final project
(This cake's baker was a trouper--his friend accidentally drove off with all of his decorations, so he just decorated from scratch.)

Advanced Pastry Arts final project

Advanced Pastry Arts final project

My team for this project really rocked it, if I do say so myself. Here are my two teammates' cakes:

Advanced Pastry Arts final project
Elegant and simple, just like my partner!

Advanced Pastry Arts final project
He called it The Sea of Chocolate! It was so awesomely tall and beautiful!

And this was mine, which doesn't look anything like a traditional wedding cake, using Colette Peters' stained glass method for the bottom tier, painting the top tier, and topping it off with pieces I made with sugar:

Advanced Pastry Arts final project

Advanced Pastry Arts final project

Advanced Pastry Arts final project
I couldn't finish in class, so this is what Chef had to photograph. I was determined to get it home and get at least a little more work done before calling it.

Advanced Pastry Arts final project
There were a few mishaps with bumped-off gel patches on the way home, but the cake survived mostly intact. I wasn't sure if I should put the sugar bowl "moon" on top.

Advanced Pastry Arts final project
Then I wasn't sure if I should put the LED under the moon.

Advanced Pastry Arts final project

Advanced Pastry Arts final project
I like it!

Advanced Pastry Arts finale project
The next day, after some sleep, I finished it more by filling in the bottom of the bottom tier and darkening the colors of the top tier.

Advanced Pastry Arts final project

Tonight's my final and last class!

Comments

i love the tiffany lamp idea for your cake. I could see an entire wedding planed around that theme. Cute dragonflies too. Did you make those from sugar?
Julie said…
Judy, I considered doing the whole cake in "stained glass," but I was afraid of drawing too much attention away from the dragonflies. Plus, since the dragonflies and moon are sugar, I wanted to set them on a dry surface. Collette Peters' stained glass cake is really phenomenal, and while it isn't a Tiffany lamp, its elegance was truly inspiring!
Kitt said…
Wow! Tiffany cake! That's beautiful.
Julie said…
Thanks, Kitt! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. =)
Julie said…
Thanks, Kitt! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. =)
Unknown said…
Awesome Cakes, some of them look a lil crooked and I didn't like the tiered rectangle cake.. LOL!!
Just being a critic, sorry...

But not being partial, yours is the best!!!! ;-)
Your Bro...
Anonymous said…
Very cool with the light! I didn't even know that was possible.
Julie said…
Thanks, Ed! The square cake looked better in person. =)

Thanks, Marvin! Anything is possible. If you have the Food Network, you can check out Ace of Cakes--that guy puts things that blow up and whatnot in his cakes! He's a master!
Unknown said…
Which one is Sherie's? I am guessing the brown tiered one with inlays of ??? Am I right? Or did u not get a pic of it?
Julie said…
No, not at all--Sherie was on my team for this project. Her cake has the big orange flower on top with the pink fondant ribbons around the base of each layer and the sugar pearls pressed into the fondant. It's toward the bottom, just above the tall cake.
Tablebread said…
I think we both share favorites. I like the one with the tree limbs tangling around the entire cake. It gave it a definite three dimensional look.

You have the perfect lamp! I would set that on a table by a pile of books and a cup of coffee and see how many people realize it's a cake ;) Go all Ace of Cakes on everyone!
Julie said…
Lewis, Oh man, I love Ace of Cakes. Every time I see the show, I think, "I need to work on carving/piping/fondant/sculpting/painting/etc." There's so much amazing work that decorating entails, and I'm really glad I got to incorporate techniqued I'd never tried before. Several of my classmates went with old standby skills, and I was bummed to see that they didn't take the opportunity to bust out of the box!

Popular Posts