Daring Bakers, December: Whoopie Pies

This post is dedicated to Lis of La Mia Cucina, co-founder of the Daring Bakers, who passed away in November. She was a lovely and loving person, and I wish I'd gotten to know her better since I met her online in 2007 after I joined the Daring Bakers.


The December Daring Bakers' Challenge had us all cheering - the lovely and talented Bourbonnatrix of Bourbonnatrix Bakes was our hostess and challenged us to make fun, delicious and creative whoopie pies! Delicious little cake-like cookies sandwiching luscious filling in any flavors we chose... What else is there to say but "Whoopie!"

Mmmm. For the longest time, whoopie pies were one of those desserts I coveted. There were plenty of recipes out there, but I wanted to know what I was aiming for before attempting them. Over the years, I tried dry, hump-shaped whoopie pies that were too big to fit in my mouth; Crisco-fllled, oversweet whoopie pies; cookie-crisp, warm-cream-cheese filled whoopie pies--all sorts of things I didn't want in my mouth. Then, I found more and more bakeries turning out delicious pies with moist, thinner cakes and creamy, delicious filling of all flavors. This DB challenge came along just as I knew what kind of whoopie pie was my personal favorite.


I made chocolate whoopie pies with white chocolate peanut butter filling and with regular vanilla filling to give to my friend for his birthday.


The batter--I wanted flatter cakes, so I reduced the flour, using the chocolate whoopie pie recipe that Bourbonnatrix posted and using only 2 cups of flour.


I didn't worry about the ridges with my altered recipe because I was sure they would melt away.


I was right! They came out exactly how I wanted, and they were deliciously moist and tender.


Go, my little soldiers! My minions!!


And they were delicious! This recipe is definitely a keeper.

Notes:
For the white chocolate peanut butter filling, I used White Chocolate Wonderful from my favorite peanut butter company, Peanut Butter & Co. I just replaced half the shortening with peanut butter and used half the powdered sugar, then omitted the vanilla and salt.

Check out my fellow DBers' projects by clicking through our blogroll.

Comments

Bourbonnatrix said…
Your whoopies look delicious! Glad you like them! Thanks for playing along with us this month!
Anonymous said…
White chocolate peanut butter?! OMG *swoon* These sound delicious.

Popular Posts