Sunday, October 27, 2013

Daring Bakers October: Savory Pot Pie--Mushroom and Veggie



Hannah of Rise and Shine was our October 2013 Daring Bakers’ hostess and she challenged us to bake our own double crusted savory pot pies. Using any from-scratch crust and filling we choose, we were allowed to get completely creative with our recipe, showing off the savory flavors and fillings from our own home or region.

I decided to make a mushroom and veggie pot pie.
Daring Bakers October: Double-crusted savory pot pie
Although I had other names I called this pie while making and cutting it to serve.

Daring Bakers October: Double-crusted savory pot pie
I hated the dough.

Daring Bakers October: Double-crusted savory pot pie
It wasn't so liquid that I could just pour it in and swish it into place.

Daring Bakers October: Double-crusted savory pot pie
But I took comfort in the totally tasty filling.

Daring Bakers October: Double-crusted savory pot pie
The filling filled the scary bottom crust.

Daring Bakers October: Double-crusted savory pot pie
I used as much flour as I could to roll out the top crust without making it look like a sticky, tacky mess, but it still came out looking like Freddy Kreuger pie.

Daring Bakers October: Double-crusted savory pot pie
I was afraid the crust would totally deteriorate and drip off the top and over the sides, but it set up and stayed right where it was supposed to.

Daring Bakers October: Double-crusted savory pot pie
My puddle pie did set up after I let it cool a bit more, but even after cooling awhile, its filling still flooded out a bit when I started taking out slices.

Daring Bakers October: Double-crusted savory pot pie
When all was said and done, deflated pie wasn't bad at all. The filling was tasty, but the crust was a pleasant surprise. I was afraid ti would be tough, but it was flaky and tender.

Notes:
A cup of water to a pie crust recipe using 3 1/2 cups of flour is way too much! I should've used just over half a cup, but I wanted to follow the recipe to the letter. Normally, I add the minimum amount of water called for and add more only if the dough doesn't come together. This recipe just called for a full cup of water.

Because the dough was so sticky, I kept it cold, and because it was so soft, it rolled out even though it was cold. I rolled it out between plastic, which made it easier to transfer to the pie plate. With typical pie dough, I don't have to flour the dough before laying plastic on it, but with this sticky stuff, I floured it because it stuck to the plastic. Awesome. *sigh*

For my filling, I used the pot pie recipe, but replaced 2 of the 3 cups of chicken with mushrooms and added an additional cup of vegetables.

Check out my fellow DBers' projects by clicking through our blogroll.

2 comments:

What's for dessert? said...

Looks delicious. Who would say that you had problems with crust.

Michael Marsh said...

I sent you email, but I don't know how often you check that account.

Happy holidays -- love ya!