Daring Bakers, February: Crackers!
Sarah from All Our Fingers in the Pie was our February 2013 Daring Bakers’ host and she challenges us to use our creativity in making our own Crisp Flatbreads and Crackers!
Ever since my doc asked me to follow a 90-95% Forks Over Knives diet (vegan, with no added fats and processed "white" carbs), baking has been ... not so fun? Luckily, there are a few recipes I was able to find that sort of respected my dietary needs!
Makes a half-sheet pan full (which is kitchen speak for a regular-sized cookie sheet)
1 cup buckwheat flour
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 Tsp himalayan pink salt
1/4 cup water (1/4 cup)
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Slowly mix the wet ingredients into the dry ones until thick dough is formed, adding more water if necessary. Knead dough with hands, it should hold together without stickiness, if the dough is sticky add more flour.
3. Sandwich the dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll out until flat, thin and the right size for your baking tray. Place the dough parchment side down on your baking tray and remove the top layer.
4. Brush with oil and cook for 15 – 20 minutes, until lightly brown and crisp.
This recipe can be adapted with herbs, spices, seeds, etc.
Brown rice crackers
Makes about 3 dozen
1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
2/3 cup cooked brown rice
1 tablespoons flax seeds (optional)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup oil (coconut, safflower, olive, etc.)
1/3 to 1/2 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Lightly oil large baking sheet.
3. In bowl or food processor, mix flour, rice, flax seeds, salt, and oil until combined. Add water a little at a time until dough holds together.
4. Pour onto floured surface and knead a few times to form a ball.
5. Press or roll dough on baking sheet. Score into 1 1/2-inch squares.
6. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until bottoms are golden brown. Cool before removing from pan.
Brown Rice Sunflower Seed Cracker Recipe
Makes about 3 dozen
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
2. Grease a baking sheet.
3. Grind up the sunflower seeds.
4. Mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl.
5. Add the liquid ingredients and mix until a dough is formed. Make two balls of dough.
6. Put one ball of dough in between two sheets of wax or parchment paper and roll out to 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch.
7. Pull off the top sheet of paper and flip the dough onto the baking sheet.
8. Use a pizza cutter to cut crackers into 1 to 1 1/2 inch squares. Take the edges off and add to the other ball of dough and repeat.
9. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet.
Check out my fellow DBers' cracker projects at our blogroll!