Daring Bakers, November: Filipino Desserts



Catherine of Munchie Musings was our November Daring Bakers’ host and she challenged us to make a traditional Filipino dessert – the delicious Sans Rival cake! And for those of us who wanted to try an additional Filipino dessert, Catherine also gave us a bonus recipe for Bibingka which comes from her friend Jun of Jun-blog.

I was looking forward to trying the Sans Rival cake for the first time, since I grew up eating bibingka in my Filipino household, but it's been such a busy month that the supplemental project became my primary project and I just made some simple yet delicious bibingka. Instead of making and using salted duck egg, I left the cakes empty and topped them with brown sugar and coconut for a simplified version.
IMG_1481


IMG_1471
Bare babingka, fresh out of the oven and before I lacquered them with butter.

IMG_1484
A plain babingka--well, plain with a ton of butter melted into it.

IMG_1487
Simple brown sugar.

IMG_1500
Coconut, and with its skirt down (with butter, bare, skirt down--who knew babingka could be so naughty?!).

IMG_1496
Such a beautiful golden color!

IMG_1509
Moist, luscious innards. So very good . . . though still naughty!

IMG_1519
And if you have two, the wrappers really start to flower up. =)

Check out my fellow DBers, most of who made the Sans Rival, by heading to our blogroll

Comments

Mary said…
This looks delicious! I didn't get a chance to make these, yet, but I did use coconut in my sans rival.

Popular Posts