Daring Bakers, July: Fresh Fraisiers

Hooray—July’s Daring Bakers challenges have always been perfect to serve at my annual birthday potluck!



Jana of Cherry Tea Cakes was our July Daring Bakers’ host and she challenges us to make Fresh Frasiers inspired by recipes written by Elisabeth M. Prueitt and Chad Robertson in the beautiful cookbook Tartine.

Daring Bakers July: Fresh Fraisiers



Daring Bakers July: Fresh Fraisiers
The sponge. I leveled and froze it for a week in plastic and foil so it would be ready to go when I needed it. Sponge doesn't freeze solid, so make sure it's protected in the freezer so it isn't dinged and dented. I just had to unwrap it, thaw it, layer it, and set it back into the spring form.

Daring Bakers July: Fresh Fraisiers
Instead of using the spring form bottom, I built the cake on the plate I wanted to serve from, and wrapped the spring form around the bottom cake layer on the plate.

Daring Bakers July: Fresh Fraisiers
I set the strawberries, mortared them in with the pastry cream, layered the rest of the chopped strawberries into the cream, piled in the last of the cream, then set the top cake layer on. After that, I rolled out the almond paste disc and topped the whole cake.

Daring Bakers July: Fresh Fraisiers
I'd intended to do some pipe work on the almond paste do decorate the cake, but I just didn't have the time. I had no complaints, though--it's sort of a self-decorating cake, after all! (photo by Ed/Lexi)

Daring Bakers July: Fresh Fraisiers
I was worried the strawberries and filling would squoosh out when I sliced the cake, but it didn't happen--it stayed true and firm! (photo by Ed/Lexi)

Daring Bakers July: Fresh Fraisiers
There were no leftovers. This was definitely one of the best-tasting cakes I've ever made, and I'm happy to have it in my repertoire! (photo by Ed/Lexi)

Thanks to my bro Ed and my niece Lexi for taking photos of the cake during my bday potluck!

Check out my fellow DBers' fraisiers through our blogroll!

Comments

Abigail said…
Happy Birthday!

Beautiful Fraisier.
Bourbonnatrix said…
very elegant fraisier! great job on the challenge!
Julie said…
Thanks Abigail and Bourbon!

Popular Posts